We strive to provide our children and staff with fresh healthy ingredients with as few processed foods, as possible. We use fresh fruits and vegetables regularly and ask that our teachers eat the same foods as the children for meals and snacks. We encourage this by offering Family Style Meals.
During lunch, teachers place enough food on the table to allow each child and adult to take the full regulatory portion of food required by the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) or State Licensing Rules. Children are allowed to choose how much of each food they serve themselves, or if they will take any of the food at all.
Family style meals help children try new foods by allowing them to feel in control of their eating. Teachers encourage healthy eating habits by role modeling them.
Additional benefits of family style meals
- Teach children to self regulate portion sizes according to their level of hunger
- Enhance development of motor, language, and social skills
- Provide opportunities for children to learn about food
- Build lifelong skills such as food preparation and presentation, as children participate in the entire process
- Build self-esteem and develop independence as children learn new skills
Below is the updated menu for GLC! If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us!